Whether this is your first time as a landlord or you have been renting out your investment property for years, you have likely heard the term ‘rent-ready.’ You might be thinking, “my property is in awesome condition,” or “my home is new construction.” Even if this is true, not all homes are automatically ready to rent. Getting a property rent-ready means that you are taking the time to ensure that it is in the proper condition to be on the market.
If you have hired a professional property manager, their team will walk you through the steps to get your rental prepped for your next tenant! So, before you list your property, we will walk you through a few necessary steps! Attention to detail will attract fantastic tenants and maximize rents collected.
Taking the time to inspect the property thoroughly will prevent more significant issues. When you walk the perimeter of your home, this allows you to check every inch, top to bottom.
- Turn on all of the faucets, check for leaks, and run the garbage disposal.
- Test each outlet and light switch to ensure they are functioning correctly.
- Inspect each appliance, ensure they are working, and replace them as necessary.
- Check for blemishes on the walls and ensure that the paint looks clean and fresh.
- Test the locks on each window and make sure they open, close, and seal properly.
- Review the carpet’s condition and ensure that there is no damage to the seams or corners.
- Test all of the utilities in the home; HVAC, Water Heater, Water Softener, etc.
- Double-check all doors to ensure that they close correctly and that the seals are in good condition.
Taking the time to perform this inspection on the front end will undoubtedly save you time on the back end if any issues arise. Ensuring that all of the main components of a property are correctly functioning will make for happy tenants when they move in!
More than likely, the first thing that a prospective tenant will do is drive by the property once they see your listing. You’ll want to keep the outside of the home looking as flawless as possible! The exterior of your home is your first impression and can make or break a deal.
- Keep the lawn mowed and tidy.
- Rake any leaves.
- Trim trees that could pose a risk to your property.
- Check the fence and make any repairs to loose boards; restain if necessary.
- Paint the exterior of the home and any doors.
- Inspect the roof and ensure that there are no missing shingles or tiles.
- Plant some greenery or flowers, and lay mulch.
- Remove any trash or debris.
Make A List Of Necessary Repairs
Once you have inspected the property inside and out, you may have found a few things that need your attention. Most property managers have a team ready to assist with getting these repairs handled quickly and efficiently. Allowing your property management team of vendors to conduct maintenance repairs may even be part of your property management contract. Getting repairs completed will get your home on the market and rented faster!
Clean, Clean, Clean!
You’ll want to hire a professional cleaning crew to conduct a deep clean on your property. This will include baseboards, light fixtures, under and behind appliances, bathrooms, windows, blinds, and more! It is also a good idea to have all of the floorings in the home professional steam cleaned as well. You do not want any stains, pet odors, or discoloration on the floors.
Deep cleans are crucial to effectively listing your property. Tenants will not want to move into a dirty home, especially a house with the previous tenants’ dirt and dust. A home that is not spick and span will sit vacant for much longer.
Time To Rent & Work With Professional Property Managers
Once you have completed the rent-ready checklist, it is time to list your property! If you do not have the resources or the time to dedicate to tenant turnover and rent-readiness, then it is time to work with a professional property manager. Property managers have the knowledge and expertise necessary to get your property rented quickly. Property managers will determine comparable rents in the area, tenant screening, lease preparation, property showings, and collect security deposits.
If you would like more information on how we can make the rent-ready process LESS HASSLE, MORE HAPPY- visit us at www.rentwisepm.com